Once Upon a Time

The sharing of stories is how we communicate and so people are born loving stories. Stories bring us together and foster community, understanding and culture through their telling. As story tellers we have all seen the power of stories and we are all on the look out for new material. This blog has been setup to foster sharing amongst story tellers so please feel free to use any material here and share your stories with others by e-mailing me.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Caloundra, Queensland, Australia

Monday, October 30, 2006

The Turkish Sultan

A long time ago a Turkish Sultan ruled the country of Turkey. The Turkish Sultan wore a big cloak that was carried on either side of him by the Sultan’s servants. Everyone in the land was very poor except for the Sultan, who was very rich. There was, however, a very special rooster who was owned by an old lady in the village.

One day the rooster was pecking around for crumbs when he came across a special treasure- a diamond button. The Sultan saw this and because he was very greedy he said,
“Servants grab that diamond button and put it in the treasure chest in my treasure chamber and that will be the end of that”

Well the rooster was very angry. He flew up to the palace window and said to the sultan, “Give me back my Diamond Button, Give me back my diamond button”

The Sultan said, “Servants grab that rooster and through him in the well and that will be the end of that”

With that servants grabbed the rooster and threw him into the well where he landed with a splash. But remember the rooster was a very special rooster, in fact he was a magic rooster, and so he said,
“Come my magic tummy, come my magic tummy, come my magic tummy and swallow up all the water” and he swallowed up all the water till the well was dry. Then he flew out of the well and up to the palace window and said top the Sultan, “Give me back my diamond button, give me back my diamond button.”

The Sultan, a bit irritated now, said, “Servants grab that rooster and throw him in the fire and that will be the end of that.”

So the Sultan’s servants grabbed the rooster and threw him in the fire. But the rooster was a very special rooster and so he said,
“Come my magic tummy, come my magic tummy, come my magic tummy and let out all the water.” All of the water from the well poured out of the rooster’s mouth putting out the fire in a great cloud of steam and soaking the Sultan, his servants and the palace. The rooster then flew up to the palace window and said, “Give me back my diamond button, Give me back my diamond button.”

The Sultan was now very angry and he said, “Servants grab that rooster and throw him in the beehive and that will be the end of that.”

So the Sultan’s servants grabbed the rooster and threw him in the beehive. But the rooster was a very special rooster and so he said,
“Come my magic tummy, come my magic tummy, come my magic tummy and swallow up all the bees.” The rooster swallowed all the bees in the beehive, then flew up to the palace window and said to the Sultan, “Give me back my diamond button, Give me back my diamond button.”

The Sultan by now was hoping mad, he roared, “Servants grab that rooster and bring him to me! I have thrown him in the well, I have thrown him in the fire and I have thrown him in the Beehive, and still he comes back. What should I do with him now?”

The servants gathered together and whispered, “psssssss”. Then they went to the Sultan and told him their idea. The Sultan listened and said, “Ah Huh! What a good idea”

Then he grabbed the rooster and quickly stuffed him down the back of his pants and prepared to sit down on him. But the rooster was a very special rooster and he said, “Come my magic tummy, come my magic tummy, come my magic tummy and let out all the bees.”

The bees poured out of the rooster’s mouth and stung the Sultan right his big, fat, wobbly bottom. “Yeeeeowwww!” yelled the Sultan as he hopped up and down. The servants quickly pulled down the Sultan’s pants to let out the rooster and the angry bees. The rooster flew up to the palace window and said, “Give me back my diamond button, give me back my diamond button.”

The Sultan said, “Enough! Servants take that rooster to the treasure chest in the treasure chamber and give him back his diamond button and that will be the end of that.”

So the Sultan’s servants took the rooster to the treasure chest in the treasure chamber and they left him to find his diamond button. But while he was there the rooster saw all the piles of emeralds, diamonds, rubies and other treasures that filled the treasure chamber and he said,
“Come my magic tummy, come my magic tummy, come my magic tummy and swallow up all this treasure.”
Then waddled out of the palace and down to the village to share all the treasure with all the villagers. From then on, in the country of Turkey no one was poor, except for the Sultan!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's been 89 years, and I finally found this story again. What a wonderful life.

11:37 PM  
Anonymous Laya said...

Can Somebody tell what the Author is 🙏😫😠

12:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe this is a Hungarian story from the 1500's...resistance to Turkey as the invader!

2:59 AM  
Blogger purrna said...

My mom told me this story in the 1950s when I was a child. Almost exactly like this, except for one small detail. The Sultan was traveling being carried in a royal procession when he spied the rooster and the button. Also, at the end, he brought the diamond button to his mistress. Those could've been my mom's embellishments.

10:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home